New Club Checklist
Welcome to the Hertford and District Men’s Football League. We have been in existence for over 100 years and are the strongest amateur men’s Saturday football league in Hertfordshire.
New clubs coming into the Hertford & District Football League will generally fall under two categories.
Either a) You are considering setting up a football team and do not know where to start?
Or b) You are an existing club plying your trade in another league and wish to move across.
If you are looking to start a new club there are many things that you need to think about and it might be a bit of a minefield when you first start but the checklist below is a good place to begin:
We are a new club what do we need to do?
- Club Name - Come up with a name for your football team.
- Roles & Responsibilities – You will need to appoint a Manager, Secretary and Treasurer
- Kit – You will need to purchase a kit (please check with the league prior to purchasing as there are some strict FA rules regarding kits that are dark in colour)
- Players - You will need to sign up at least 11 players 14 days prior to the start of the season
- Pitch - You will need to find yourself a pitch to play on
- Sponsorship, match fees - You will need to consider financing the team to pay for your pitch, kit etc
- Equipment - You will need to purchase Balls, Nets, Corner Flags, First Aid kit etc
- Constitution - You should draw up a club constitution
- Affiliation - You will need to Affiliate with your local FA (Herts, Essex, London)
Essex FA Affiliation
London FA Affiliation
Middlesex FA Affiliation
Both new and existing clubs are required to complete an application form to join our league. The link to that is :-
Hertford & District Football League Application Form
What do we need to know?
- Rules \ Handbook - The league handbook contains all of the rules and regulations pertaining to our league.
- FA jurisdiction & Discipline - Your local FA Website is a good place to start to learn
- Fines \ Suspension – What you get fined for. How you can get suspended for non-payment
- The FA Whole Game System – Club affiliation and discipline is now handled through the the FA’s ‘Whole Game System’ portal
- County Cup – Depending on your location you will be entered into your local FA affiliated County Cup competition
- For further reading please see your local FA website (e.g Herts FA - Setting up a club)
How much does it cost?
- What do we need to pay up front?
ii.Club Insurance (Bluefin are the FA's appointed broker)
iii.League Bond (£100 - Refundable upon exit from the league)
- See your local FA Website for more infornation
How do we apply to join the Hertford & District League?
- Complete the Online Application Form http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/oa9xfWV2IL4a7bbJbC9Nf
- We will contact you to find out more information and to give you the further assistance that you need.
- Attend the new club welcome meeting at Allenbury’s Sports & Social Club, WARE
- Attend the League AGM at Allenbury’s Sports & Social Club, WARE
Who runs the league?
The League is run by a small dedicated and friendly committee. We are committed to helping people play football and have worked hard to help clubs achieve that. We believe that we are one of a few flourishing Saturday Mens leagues in the county and we pride ourselves on being transparent, approachable and dedicated.
What do I need to do on a weekly basis other than turn up and play football?
- Team Sheets – You will need to complete team sheets on a Match Day
- You will need to be aware of the Player ID checking process (a voluntary system to eliminate clubs playing non-registered players to gain an advantage over the opposition)
- Match Confirmation – If you are the home team you will need to confirm the game with the opposition and the referee
- Player Registration \ photos - You will need to supply a completed registration form and a photograph for each player that you wish to play for your club – Please see www.hertfordanddistrict.co.uk for more information
What if I cannot fulfil a fixture?
Who Do I Notify?
As soon as you are aware that you will not be able to fulfil the fixture you will need to inform the following people:
- The Opposition manager\secretary
- The Referee
- The Fixtures Secretary
Please ensure that you speak to the opposition manager. A text message and/or email on its own is not sufficient